Thursday, December 18, 2008

Thank Goodness for Family & Friends

Photo by S. HubbellLife truly has been crazy, as it is for all new parents I'm sure. There is such a blur of reality, where day & night seem to meld together. You seem to loose track of the days & wonder, did I feed the dogs the cat's food last night... remeber to take out the trash yesterday... and actually press 'start' on the dishwasher after loading it?

Wow, thank goodness for family & friends. I don't know how new Moms can do this on their own. All the feedings, diaper changes, lack of sleep, cooking, cleaning, and the stresses that come with not knowing what exactly is ailing your newborn at all times... oh and did someone say Christmas is coming? Thankfully, I am not doing this alone! I think that Evan lucked out with the best Dad out there... I know I'm biasd but Chris has been amazing. So cool & calm when it matters, sacrificing so much sleep & time away from other responsibities & hobbies to help with Evan's care, and dealing with all my hormone swings! Evan & I are truly blessed to have such a great Dad & husband.

Then there is Grandma. My mom arrived from NY on Sunday to stay with us for a few weeks. What is it about Grandmas that makes them have the magic touch? When Mom & Dad can't console Evan, Grandma sweeps in and saves the day, lulling my little one right to sleep. And I certainly never thought that my Mom would be doing my laundry at age 33!

And then there is the issue of eating. You can only eat so many bowls of cereal for dinner. But we have some awesome freinds who have been serving us some great dinners and also providing us their wisdom & experience as parents. See, most of our friends already have 2 or 3 kids... so we not only get great hand me downs but also their advice & comforting words like - "oh, thats nothing let me tell you about the time when..." or "Don't worry, we went through that too" or "thats completely normal". I can't wait for Evan to grow just a bit more so he can play with all the little folks Chris & I have come to love over the last 6 years.I'm Dreaming of a White Bottle

So now we are preparing for Christmas! I guess with the economy being so bad and it being pretty close to Christmas, the tree lots were offering great deals on trees. So last night Chris & I got 2 real, beautiful trees - one 11 ft for the downstairs & one 8 ft for the upstairs. We've slowly been getting the house ready with decorations and now its time to trim those trees! We're so lucky that Evan will get to spend his 1st Christmas at home with family. My mom is already in town, and my Dad & brother arrive on Monday. Christopher's sister, Beth and her husband, Martin arrive on Saturday all the way from London! We're so excited that we get to spend the holidays with family, as its usually pretty tough to do when all your family lives so far away.

As I wrap up this long overdo post, I just want to extend a thank you to all the family & friends that have been showering Evan with gifts! We have a bunch a great books that we can start reading to Evan and we have also started a college fund for him with the cash you've sent. We can't wait to introduce Evan to everyone over the next several months.Thumb sucker, Photo by Mainline Mom on Flickr
-Mo

No comments: