Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Nesting Defined

So apparently we've begun the process of "nesting".


What is nesting? I've heard it said a lot about parents-to-be, but upon looking up the word online I found no mention of trimesters. Instead I found a few common meanings about birds and twigs, computing data sets, stacking dolls, and simply a "home". Mostly very warm and cuddly. But then one caught my eye: "a place in which young are reared; a lair". Aha! We are instinctively building a lair - cool!


Not really knowing what a lair was, I looked that up too. The word has its roots in Old England and Old High German - what do you know, so does our family. Hmmm...reading further: "A resting or sleeping place." That makes sense. Maureen has been sleeping a lot. Next meaning: "the resting or living place of a wild animal." Bingo! Now it all makes sense. We are instinctively preparing our home to rear a young wild animal!!

As you can see, we have a ways to go from rearing our stray kitten, two German Shepherds, and Mo's 20-something-year-old Cabbage Patch Dolls that she discovered (and decided to bathe) while nesting this past weekend.

No comments: