This evening I'm blogging from the antepartem ward of Clear Lake Regional Hospital, where Maureen is in for 24-hour observation. Our doc wanted to get some more data before diagnosing a condition he saw from some tests in the office today. This condition may warrant a slightly early delivery, possibly very soon. I say slightly early since 37-42 weeks is generally considered "full-term", and we're at 35 weeks as of today.
So tomorrow we'll find out if she has some of the common signs of pre-eclampsia. This is a condition whose cause is not yet understood, and symptoms are often masked, but left on its own can be very harmful to mother and child. There is a lot of conflicting and unproven information on the internet, but one simple fact is that it goes away after delivery. So if we really have noticed it super-early, our doctor will wait until it progresses to the point that it's safer for the baby to be outside than inside, and we'll just have him a little early. If the condition doesn't get any worse, we just wait until nature takes its course and the baby comes when he wants to.
So, hospital stays are never fun, but this one is happening because our doctor was astute enough to notice very early that something might not be right. Thanks to that, we got a slew of other tests today (including another ultrasound) which tells us that Baby Gerty is doing great and is waiting obediently in a heads-down position, waiting for us to tell him what to do!
Wednesday, November 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Good to hear Gerty ver 2.1 is ready for immediate download if required, glad mother & baby are doing well, and hoping the preclampsia doesn't progress.
Martin
oohh wow. Mom was giving me the update today, I hear Mo is still in the hospital.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed and praying that the whole family stays healthy.
So Exciting for all of you and baby Gerty! I just hope Mo is feeling comfortable. :hugs:
Heather
Who's the best baby? BOB!!!
Glad Mo is feeling better tonight and hope you both get some sleep...you better stock up now while you can as Bob will be here before long! I can't wait to meet him face-to-face!!
Post a Comment